What Is A Speech Pathologist?


Speech Pathologists support people to communicate. They can also assist when a person has trouble swallowing which can make eating and drinking difficult.

At Community Links, our Speech Pathologists work with people of all ages and abilities. This includes supporting individuals with understanding language, speaking, reading, writing, social skills and stuttering.

Speech Pathologists also support other ways to communicate including gesture, sign language or using communication aids like assistive technology.


Where our Speech Pathologists work


Community Links offers services in a range of settings. The most appropriate environment is chosen based on individual needs. These settings include:

  • CLW offices- these are located in Tahmoor, Camden, Bowral and Bargo
  • primary and secondary schools in the Wollondilly, Wingecarribee, Camden and Campbelltown areas
  • early childhood education and care settings
  • aged care facilities
  • individual’s homes including group homes

Our Speech Pathology team can also provide services via telehealth where appropriate.


Who can access our services?


All CLW Allied Health services are accessible to individuals of all ages, from birth to the elderly. No referral is required but individuals may be eligible to receive Medicare rebates.

CLW is a Registered NDIS Provider.

At CLW, we provide Speech Pathology services in the following areas:

  • preschoolers and children who are having trouble communicating, or have speech that is difficult to understand
  • people who have a developmental language disorder that affects their ability to talk and understand others
  • people who have difficulties with their speech, including childhood apraxia of speech (CAS)
  • neurodiverse individuals
  • people who are finding it hard to learn to read and spell
  • people with hearing loss, and those who communicate with them
  • people who stutter
  • people at risk of choking or who have difficulty eating or drinking safely
  • people with physical, cognitive, and/or sensory disabilities
  • people who find it hard, or are unable, to communicate through speech and use alternative or augmentative communication (AAC) methods instead (for example, an electronic communication device, communication board)
  • children and young people with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties who have underlying communication needs that may be masked by behaviours.